The Datastream Terminal is used for remote computing. Since only one University member can access it at a time, a time slot has to be booked before hand.
1 Functional Range
Datastream gives you access to the world's largest and most respected historical financial numerical database such as
- Worldwide equity coverage direct from the stock markets
- Comprehensive market indices,
- Economics data direct from national government sources as well as the OECD and IMF,
- Fixed income securities and associated indices, commodities and derivatives data.
- Forecast earnings data from IBES, fundamental data from Worldscope, and
- Added value data sets from respected sources such as MSCI, DJ Stoxx and FTSE All World.
2 Access / Workflow
up to date (F5 BigIp) VPN-Client
for detailed instructions please use the relevant ZID instructions.
2.2 Book Session
Because our license is "per seat", you have to book a time-slot. "Fair-play" is assumed, restrict yourself to a couple of hours per week not to get restricted.
2.3 3) Virtual Desktop
After your booked session has started, retrieve your password.
yum install tigervnc or apt-get install tigervnc-viewer or similar viewers for windows, etc.
- java enabled web-browser to run an unsigned applet (which could cause troubles)
2.3.2 Start Virtual Desktop
click <Connect> and provide password.
and authenticate with your session-password.
Best to use the Full-Screen-Mode, note the keys to escape, e.g. <Strg> + <Alt> + <Shift> + <F>
Log on as Researcher. A new Desktop will be prepared for you, which could take up to two minutes.
You can query and retrieve your results directly from within Excel through plugins by using the icon at the upper left corner of your desktop.
2.4.2 Storage Clients
Various clients have been installed for saving your data, like Google-drive, u:cloud or Dropbox. Don't forget to save your work before your session ends. Everything will be deleted, so that the next user starts without any left-overs.